Saturday, June 21, 2008

Two-in-one post!

Hi all!

Since we've not had constant internet access, I've been composing blog entries offline. So today you will get a two-for-one deal. First, you'll get a report on our visits with Meredith on Thursday and today. Then you'll get my bonus entry on fashion in Russia!

We got to see Meredith on Thursday but she was not a happy camper most of the hour or so we had her with us. We got to play outside with her, which was nice, but we didn't really know if she's allowed to get dirty or anything, so we mostly just held her and walked around. We got one good smile out of her:


but the rest of the time she was less excited:


or even antisocial:
We don't think she liked her hat - it was a little too tight and we think it was on backwards so it kept coming down over her eyes. (As you might guess, the hat was not our idea! It was warm out!).

Today she was cheerier, but we were busy bringing her to the photo shop to get a passport photo taken, and then she fell asleep right afterward! We tried to take a photo of her but our camera is on the fritz. We'll be trying to sort that out soon so as not to deprive anyone! It may involve real film (ack!).

And now for my second post....some reflections on Russian fashion.

If I wanted to look fashionable in Russia....

If I wanted to look like a fashionable young woman in Russia (I know, I’m barely qualified as “young” anymore), there are a few things that would need to be true.

• I would need to wear a mini skirt. This would be accompanied by nylons with patterns – either fishnet or some other kind of design.

• I would have my choice of two types of shoes. Choice # 1 includes a variety of stiletto heels. They can look like pumps, or fancy sandals, but the key is that the heel must be tiny and the height must be 3-4 inches at least. Choice # 2 includes a variety I will call “ballet shoes”. These are extremely flat shoes that I’ve also seen frequently in the U.S. They are usually decorated with a small buckle or a bow or something. Regardless of my choice of shoes, they should contain studs or sequins.

• I would need to carry a very large, shiny purse. I don’t know what is in those things, except perhaps some toilet paper since it isn’t always provided in the public restrooms. This requires a digression. I’ll have you know that even I – one of the thriftiest people I know – was willing to spring for the more expensive 15 ruble port-a-potty rather than the 14 ruble basic model a few days ago when given the choice. My 15-ruble potty included toilet paper and a quality sink with hand soap. In case this is confusing, it can be hard to find restrooms sometimes when you are out and about, so there are pay-as-you-go (no pun intended) port-a-potties set up here and there in parks and along busy streets. By the way, since I know you are wondering, my choice of the 15-ruble over the 14-ruble model cost me about 4 cents. Soon I’ll be on an out-of-control spending spree I’m sure. It’s a slippery slope. Luckily, back in Yaroslavl, potties are usually only 7-10 rubles. Phew! Back to my fashion list though…

• I would need to have bangs. WAIT A MINUTE! I DO HAVE BANGS!! This is the one thing I have in common with the fashionable young women here. It’s not all of them, but definitely a lot more than there are in the U.S. I understand bangs are “coming back” in the U.S., so I’m happy about that too – since I insist on having them anyway, it’s good to be in style when the cycle comes around. (I tried going without bangs for several years but I never liked it).

I feel very awkward about taking pictures of people directly, but if I can fake that I am taking a picture of something else, and just sneak someone in, I am willing to try it. I also got Rob to help me. So here are a few peeks at the types of outfits I've described:

You can see some heels and a giant purse here:



And this gives you a taste of the mini-skirt with heels and giant purse:



Notice that high standards of fashion do not seem to apply to the boys, who can apparently dress however they want and look much more comfortable!


That's all for today! Our internet cafe time is almost up! The current plan is now to go baby-supply shopping on Monday (diapers and food - we brought everything else) and to get custody of Meredith on Tuesday. Can't wait!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah - It is so good to see you enjoying the Russian culture. It is quit different then over here - but the pictures help explain. - And for us bring back so many memories. How about the clitter clater of heels on concrete? That's a sound I can still hear in my head! When you get to Moscow ask Vladmir about the big shopping mall across the river. It is HUGE, and impressive in how it is all laid out plus unlike the Gum at Red Square it has air conditioning - if you are looking to get out but tired of the heat. I have an idea for you - we did not buy Mason a traditional Russian outfit but should have. Get Meredith one and then when you are back in the US have her picture taken in it - it will be a great memory! - As always safe travels and may the Lord keep you all safe!
The Bullers
Happy Birthday Meredith!

Nicholas S. Park said...

In your first "Russian Fashion" picture, it sure looks like the girl on the left caught you photographing them! ;-)

We can't wait to see you three!!!

-Nick Park

Kate said...

Be sure to buy about 3x as many diapers as you think you will need :)

abby said...

I love reading about all your Russian experiences and am so glad you get Meredith on Tuesday! How exciting! So, when will you be coming to WI with her? I've met Carrie's little guy and I can't wait to meet your sweet girl! Thanks for posting so much so often...

Anonymous said...

ooo babies and shoes in one post :-)
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!
love,
betsy

Canadi-Ann said...

Hello Sarah, Rob & Meredith!

Greetings from Toronto! I'm very excited to see pics and enjoy reading your experiences. I'm not so sure about George Michaels though. Ick. :|

I heard that your feet get numb after awhile with the heels. Spinal cord damage?

Hope to see you here soon with cutie pie!

martha said...

hey,

You can take kids' passport photos at home now! Try this techniqque- Make you child lie down on a white board when he or she is in good mood, and then click the pictures that you want...simple! Isn't it? Actually, there are many like this on ePassportPhoto.com, which you can try. And yes, you can also print a passport photo at home- for FREE! :)

Love,
Martha

Anonymous said...

Too much pressure or too little force is usually very uncomfortable during a therapeutic gay sizegenetics which may lead to more damage than good. Also when making a booking in your erotic male sizegenetics confirm you you should not book a masseur who is very heavy handed. Someone who is heavy handed may totally ruin the sizegenetics experience. A therapeutic gay sizegenetics, if not done properly, can also affect and cause injury. Also an area that might possibly be sore will become inflamed as a result of the repeated rubbing and stroking. Take your time when researching concerning the different different kinds of therapeutic gay sizegenetics methods and techniques.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/