Friday, June 09, 2006

An Amusing Story + How I Am Like Angelina Jolie

Well, there's no news on the adoption front. However, I know some of you check this blog regularly and you might be wondering if I stopped using it. So let me re-iterate that whenever there is any news you will hear about it here!

Since there's no news, I'm forced to come up with something else to write - so I have an amusing story, and then a short reflection on adoption.

Amusing story:

I suppose many people, at some time or another, have tried to run up a "down" escalator. Most of the time this is for the challenge of it, or the scene is in some cliche comedy (in which hilarity ensues repeatedly). This week I was in Athens, Greece at a conference. Can you believe this is related? I was headed to the subway in Athens to get myself and my suitcase to the airport. In order to avoid taking up the whole width of the escalator going down to the trains, I decided to pull my suitcase directly behind me instead of slightly to the side. As I got onto the escalator, my suitcase hit a bump and I lost hold of it. Picture my surreal moment as I looked at my suitcase on the ground at the top as the escalator brought me down. (There was no one else there, as I'm sure they would have grabbed it for me). All I could think was "I'm going to lose sight of it, and hopefully it will still be there when I come back up the other escalator." Then I remembered - this was not an elevator. I was not frozen. So I did it - I booked it up the "down" escalator. It was a weird feeling, but I'm happy to say that I made it and rescued my suitcase! I am definitely in training for our future unpredictable adventure traveling in Russia.

Short Reflection:

On the plane yesterday (10 hour flight from Athens to NY) there was some news-type show in which Angelina Jolie was being interviewed about her relief work. I am not usually very interested in celebrities - they are just people who get way too much attention for their work (am I a jealous academic?). I'm even skeptical about the relief work they get involved in. But it was interesting - Angelina was asked about her two adopted children, from Cambodia and Ethiopia. The interviewer wanted to know how she explained the adoption to the kids, especially because she was (at the time of the interview) pregnant. She explained that she said to her little boy (I'm paraphrasing a bit), "You didn't grow inside mommy's belly, but there was a wonderful woman in Cambodia who did that for you and mommy is so thankful for her. She wasn't able to take care of you, and so you were alone, just for a little while, until mommy could bring you home." So there I sat, choked up and wiping my eyes with the airplane blanket, thinking about that "little while" that our little one is experiencing right now without a mommy or daddy. I am so glad that it will only be a little while! And I keep praying that God would help them know they are loved even now.

Hard to believe that Angelina Jolie and I have something in common. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on celebrities.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy! That was a great entry on your blog! And I must say - the title was most enticing! I have a great picture in my mind if you going "up the down staircase!"
Oh- and you are like Angeina Jolie in another way - you are so beautiful - inside and out!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I'm glad you posted your story about Athens and the emotional plane ride. I do check your blog about once a week and it is good to know that you are hangin' in there. Many prayers for you. God is with your little one right now. I am going to pray special prayers today that He/she comes home soon and without too much time alone.

matthew said...

You and Angelina have another thing in common: you both hang out with famous economists! For example, click here. Note how the economist's name is much smaller than Angelina's--your academic jealousy is well warranted! =P

-matthew

The EnrĂ­quez-Zandstra family said...

Good entry. You had me tearing up a bit too!

I agree with your mom (about the inside-and-out beauty). Also, it's good to know celebrities are human too--a reason to resist "hating them because they're beautiful."
:-)